Group Ride Guidelines
The Guelph Cycling Club offers several weekly rides throughout the season, which run from April through October. All rides begin from the East Side branch of the Guelph Public Library, except the Tuesday All Members (TAM) Ride, which begins at the Calvary Baptist Church parking lot and Gravel Rides which begin at the Guelph Youth Music Centre.
The following rules and guidelines will apply to all GCC group rides, and should be followed and reinforced by Ride Leaders and members alike.
- Only club members may participate in rides (either at the start or on course)
- Riders must sign up in advance on the club signup program if they wish to join a ride.
- No more than 16 riders in a group
- Ride two abreast, ‘tight-and-to-the-right’ (unless otherwise directed by the Ride Leader)
- Paceline rotates clockwise at 30s – 3min intervals, maintaining ‘2-up’ formation at all times; if new to the group, simply slot in toward the back at beginning of ride and follow our lead; ask anyone for info/guidance at any time
- It is not mandatory to participate in the paceline rotation in speed groups R8 and R7. If you are riding in a faster group (R6 or faster) and can not take your turn at the front of the group, drop back to the next slower group if possible.
- Never cross the yellow line or run red lights
- Avoid ‘wheel overlap’ with the bike in front of you and sudden movements
- Report dangerous riding to any Ride Leader or GCC board member
- Stay to the right on a climb and only pass on the left
- Maintain good communication up and down the paceline; call out road hazards and traffic, advise the group when a rider is off the back or struggling
- Know the route, particularly when you’re on the front, and signal turns well in advance
- In the case of a flat or mechanical, the group will wait unless other arrangements are made
- Let others know if you are planning on leaving the group